**Head of Software Development – up to £100K – Hybrid (Bracknell/ Remote)**
We are recruiting a Head of Software Development to join a fast-growing organisation. The Head of Software Engineering is a critical role that is responsible for all aspects of software engineering required to successfully design, build, deploy, and support, various web, mobile, SaaS, and other digital applications. This includes leading the technical, architectural, solution, people, process, methodology, development practices, line and team management, capability, capacity, cost, timeline and scheduling, and risk, elements of the software engineering function.
- Work closely with the VP of Product Delivery, product team, and solution architect, to understand the business goals and product requirements
- Ensure that the software engineering team understand and are aligned with the desired product roadmap and requirements
- Lead the team to design, build, deploy and support technical solutions to fulfil these requirements
- Leading the team to build web-based applications that provide administration toolsets, with complex business, feature, and product requirements; to provide our operational teams with tools, data and insight, to better deliver the comapnies services. And also, to deliver web and mobile applications for external users.
- Manage the team to deliver solutions in the most rapid and efficient manner possible. Balance rapid delivery of value into the business versus technical perfection
- Maintain a technical roadmap, with scoping & estimation of milestones, and management of priorities, progress, blockers & risk
- Maintain and provide continuous delivery status updates and metrics to enable continuous improvement and keep stakeholders informed
- Resource planning and allocation. For roadmap delivery, as well as team growth and capability
- Responsible for leading teams to meet delivery targets in an agile manner. Whilst also being able to deal with waterfall style business and compliance timelines
- Ownership of releases, including coordinating with teams to ensure correct process and governance is followed for different levels of releases (DEV, UAT, PROD)
- Ownership of robust testing including automated feature regression testing
- Coordination with DevOps, testers, and infrastructure team to ensure infrastructure, environments and services are consistent and available.
- Challenge unnecessary complexity of software development within the engineering team, determining and mitigating the source of the complexity
- Planning and documenting technical specifications for features or system design, with technical architects and team leads
- Line managing and mentoring team members
- Ensuring the day-to-day line management of developers including one-to-ones, holiday approvals, timesheet approvals, is being managed by your reporting cascade
- Recruitment of new engineering team members
Key skills and experience:
The role requires an experienced Head of Software Engineering that can demonstrate they have led engineering teams that have successfully delivered web and mobile applications. Ideally within high growth organisations, and comfortable with rapid technical delivery.
- Extensive software engineering / development leadership experience
- Demonstrable experience successfully overseeing the technical delivery of complex web and mobile applications (SaaS / PaaS / Digital / Web / Mobile)
- Ability to understand product vision and roadmap, and lead teams to design and deliver technical solutions to realise the product value
- Management of teams within Agile technical and business environments. Experience of related processes, documentation, ceremonies and practices
- Ability to provide technical leadership. Set architectural, technical, and code direction and strategy. Make technical decisions.
- Familiarity with technologies including NodeJS, PHP, TypeScript, APIs, microservices, AWS, CI/CD, etc
- Experience decomposing monolith into microservices, and microservices in general
- Good understanding of software, architectural, and other technical design patterns
- Good understanding of non-functional requirements (security, performance etc)
- Line management experience
- Strong interpersonal skills, with both technical and non-technical colleagues
Damia Group Limited acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers. By applying for this job you accept our Data Protection Policy which can be found on our website.
Damia Group is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.